Sunday, March 3, 2013

Tiffany is a little bit empty now!

So on March 1st, I had surgery to get a cyst removed from one of my ovaries.

A year and a half ago, we got pregnant for the first time and miscarried pretty early on. I went into the doctors for an ultrasound to see what was going on. As they were looking around they found a small cyst on my right ovary. They weren't too worried because women get cysts each month as they ovulate and normally they go away. So about 2 months later I was back in the hospital and we found out we were pregnant with our cute little Calvin. The cyst was still there but the doc said that sometimes it takes a few months to go away. Anyways, the cyst got bigger as I got further along in my pregnancy, and the doc's got worried that if it got too big it could get in the way of the birth canal. So I had Calvin, and the cyst continued to stay around and now it was 7 cm. So after having Calvin we were getting ready to start trying to get pregnant again, and I kept thinking that we needed to figure things out about the cyst because I didn't want it to cause any problems during the next pregnancy.

So after a few attempts to go to the doc in Utah, we moved to Arizona for Spencer's new job and I found a new doc. She took a look at things and recommended we get it out, and there was a possibility that the ovary would need to come out. So Spencer and I prayed about it and really thought things through and decided to get it out before we start trying again. The doc said we didn't have to remove the cyst if we didn't want to but it would probably grow bigger and then it could get smashed or twisted then turn gangrene and lose circulation and then an emergency surgery would need to happen and could cause problems if I was pregnant.

So Friday I went in, they drugged me up, and did a laparoscopy surgery. Three little incisions, one over each ovary and one in my belly button. They had to take out the whole ovary and with that the Fallopian tube comes out as well. She called the cyst something like a dermoid cyst which means it probably has been in me since I was born. It was bigger than they thought, so they had to make the belly incision bigger, ouch!

So they are going to do some tests on the cyst to fully understand what kind it is, they also found some stuff on my uterus that looked like endometriosis, which the doctor wasn't too worried about. They took some out to do some tests on them to double check. She said that with that cyst being a dermoid, it probably hasn't ever functioned normally and the other times we got pregnant were because of my other ovary, which is healthy and doing great. I heard that 25% of the time if you have one dermoid then the other ovary has one too and they both have to come out, so I am very very blessed that I have one that is doing great. There is no worry of ovarian cancer because they have done some blood work and all came out great.

Overall, things are healing well. I feel that getting things removed was for the better, and I feel very confident that we will still have the chance to have more children. I appreciate all the wonderful prayers and fasting on our behalf. It was greatly needed and very much felt. You all are so wonderful.

3 comments:

  1. Not at all related to the post (which was great by the way) but I LOVE the new look for the blog!! So cute!! Glad everything went well during surgery and hope recovery continues to go well. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that everything went well and that things look good. Hope you are recovering well. Thanks for keeping us updated. Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it interesting how the Lord blesses us. Sad for one ovary gone but so grateful the other ovary is working well. I wish I was there helping you! Love you so much and miss you!

    ReplyDelete